Awards season is upon us again and the whatshewears.ie team is very excited to be giving you the lowdown as to what Kate Winslet et al wore to The 2009 British Academy of Film and Television Arts awards.
We didn’t care so much as to who won which acting award as all eyes were on the frocks. This year however, we were a tad disappointed to see that the emphasis was on black. The stars stuck to safe, black dresses with the exception of a few - Frieda Pinto of Slumdog Millionaire fame pulled off a powder pink Oscar de la Renta tulle number which would’ve looked twee on anyone else.
Three trends emerged at this year´s awards:
SENSITIVITY in light of the current economy. The lack of £4 million worth of borrowed bling from Chopard seems to be no longer appropriate amongst actors. Let’s see if the trend continues at The Oscars on February 22nd
Avoiding a fashion faux pas or influenced by the wintry British weather, the big screen glitterati played it safe – BLACK was the colour of choice on the night
The dresses were upstaged by the HAIR. Penelope, Kate, Frieda and Angelina all grabbed our attention with their magnificent hairdos
1. Kate Winslet wore a Zac Posen plunging black gown with a fishtail skirt. These are great for showing off hourglass figures and we sigh with relief that Kate has not succumbed to the size 0 pressure of Hollywood. She’s certainly “having a moment “and note that she only wore £1 million worth of Chopard diamonds. Brava!
2. Angelina Jolie lived up to her goddess status once more in a black Armani gown with an acid yellow trim. She opted for a huge beehive hair style and Christian Louboutin shoes
3. Penelope Cruz looked quite the flamenco dancer although her gown was quite similar to Kate Winslets (see Trend 1 above). ”Pe” was curvy in a velvet Azzedine Alaia number with criss crossing straps. Her dramatic fringe and Nefertiti-type do scored a 10 in our style stakes.
4. Demure Emma Watson showed her patriotism at the BAFTAS by choosing a designer from home; a black Temperley dress with floral straps. Find your perfect Temperley dress in Ireland at Costume (10 Castle Market, Dublin 2, 01 679 4188)
5. Sharon Stone defied age and worked (and matched) the red carpet wearing a floor length red corseted John Galliano gown
Find out what the Hollywood stars will be wearing at the glitziest red carpet event of the year aka The Oscars, in our next edition of What She WoreTweet